GENERAL MEETING – GOODPASTURE ISLAND NEIGHBORS
Tuesday, August 14, 2012
By Charlene Simpson
- Chair appointed Charlene Simpson to be note taker in absence of Board Secretary Cheryl Gissiner, who was out of town.
- 35 were counted as being in attendance.
- Chair, Charlie Cole, introduced GIN Board Members.
- Hearing no objections the minutes of the General Meeting, May 8, were approved and became part of the record.
- Board Elections – October 23. Any GIN members interested in a Board position contact David Larson, Nominating Committee Chair
GIN BOARD ACTIVITY – REPORT TO THE MEMBERSHIP
- Playground on a triangle shaped piece of City Property between The Boulders and the Willamette River bike/pedestrian path. Thanks were extended to John Helmer who did considerable research on feasibility. Board decided to drop the project after meeting with City Parks and Open Spaces staff.
- Board Secretary/Treasurer Dennis Gregory resigned due to moving away. In special session the Board appointed Cheryl Gissiner to fill the vacancy until elections this Fall.
- Updates on Goodpasture Rd./Alexander Lp. PUD:
Peter Mann, Director of Construction and Land Development for Hoviss Development Group LLC was scheduled to update GIN on progress of the project and how it will look. Goodpasture Island Partners is a subsidiary of Hoviss. Mr. Mann did not attend so Charlie Cole recapped the state of the project from what he knew.
DELTA PONDS RESTORATION PROJECT
- Lauri Holts, Natural Resources Coordinator, Eugene Parks and Open Space Division, spoke about volunteer opportunities in the Delta Ponds Park. The project is entering a period of diminished funding and limited staff – they are “stretched thin.” City staff values volunteers as a valuable resource. Lauri explained there are two adoptive groups currently active in the Park. Lauri suggested that if GIN members are interested in participating that they begin by joining an existing volunteer group, eventually becoming an adoptive group with a 2 year commitment if interest is sustained. Charlie asked the audience to indicate interest. Two people spoke up with “yes” replies; no dissents.
- Emily Aune, Volunteer Coordinator, City Parks and Open Space Division, suggested activities currently performed by volunteers:1. Watering
2. Dead heading thistles and other noxious weeds
3. Picking up trash
City will train, provide tools and facilitate volunteer activities. Contact Emily at (541) 682-4831 to receive the Volunteer Opportunities Newsletter or additional information. Emily provided several copies of the Eugene Park Stewards Partnership Agreement which details the agreement between the City and an applicant Adoption Group.
- Chair, Charlie Cole, summarized concerns about Safety. Most recent reports of theft, assaults and sexual harassment have occurred in the Valley River Center area, but not all. There is particular concern about safety along the Riverwalk. Charlie noted that there are currently no active Neighborhood Watch organizations on the Island. He suggested that organizing citizen watch groups be a consideration for GIN, but there were not enough in attendance at this meeting to put it on the table.
- Next General Meeting, October 23 – 7:30 pm—This will be the Annual Meeting and Board Member and Officer elections will be held.
- Change in meeting location to Willamette Oaks Dining Room